Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Coffee in the Philippines

My father used to tell me artlessly not to drink too much coffee as it mixes to the blood and makes my skin darker. It had been all the time a refreshing advice every time I tell them I could drink five to six cups, as in, "mugs" of coffee in a day in replacement of inculcating into me that too much drinking [of coffee] would give a negative corollary in my health.

Coffee had been a staple drink in my province, Batangas (Philippines). We call it "kapeng barako". A strong, aromatic coffee that was naturally processed. It could be excellent with rice crispies or what we called here as "pinipig".

Coffee

Some Filipino families use coffee not just as drink but also comprise it to their main course. Hot or cold, they pour it over a steaming or left over rice which we called, "kaning lamig". It is excellent with "tuyo" or sun-dried fish and "sinaing na isda" or fish cooked in a clay pot. It is very unique for the Filipinos how we make use of coffee in our meals. Like also for our breakfast. Common families make use of it as a dip for breads which we call, "pandesal". In doing so, we had the old kidding connotation of being so clean that we have to wash first the food we are about to eat.

Coffee was never just a steroid for us Filipinos, it was the bean of the innate that can never be taken away from our lifestyle, from what we got used to.

Coffee in the Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donut Shop Coffee People

Donut Shop Coffee People
The cup breaks open wrong sometimes.